Tuesday, June 8, 2010

Why Hello There!

So it's T-minus 6 DAYS until I board a red-eye to the concrete jungle of dreams.

In case you're just joining: I am spending my summer in New York to work as a lifeguard at a sleep-away camp for two months (Think: The Parent Trap). Since this experience is going to be many firsts for me--first time on an airplane alone, first time lifeguarding a lake, first time to New York, first time living in a non-California state etc etc--I've decided to do what I do best and write about it.

My brain is still in lizard study mode for finals, so I don't think it has quite hit me yet that I'm leaving for two months. But regardless, I am still absolutely terrified. Every 10 seconds my brain thinks of an outrageous question or situation and makes me feel like I've been punched in the stomach. Falling asleep is the worst, I'll give you a little preview:

"Oh my god. After I leave for New York, I am never seeing all of my graduating friends again.
What if there's a post-apocalyptic disaster that affects only the West Coast, and they all DIE?!
WHAT IF THE POST-APOCALYPTIC DISASTER HITS THE EAST COAST AND I DIE?!
What if I die in the airplane before even getting to New York?
I don't want to die and have the only famous person I've met still be MC Hammer. I'm too young!"

And then of course I fall asleep to the sweet melodious sounds of "Can't Touch This" while reminscening on that special day when the Hammer (yeah, we're besties like that) hugged me and gave me his autograph on a piece of receipt tape. Oh, memories.

Still, I think the most terrifying fear is this (and I feel about four years old thinking this, so there you have it): What if they hate me? I've gotten myself in pretty deep, there's no backing out now. I took all the lifeguarding classes, doing CPR on a dummie with no legs about 1,200 times. I can't turn back now.

All of these fears, although quite awful, have yet to truly mask the excitement I have. I have never done anything quite like this in my life. I'm the play-it-safe girl. It's the reason I go to school 1 hour away from my hometown, and the reason why I am a part of the serial single girl club (monogamy is for quitters! is our motto).

Although it may get old to you, it never does for me: THE FINAL COUNTDOWN SHALL NOW COMMENCE!

SIX DAYS....SIX DAYS....SIX DAYS....SIX DAYS....SIX DAYS....SIX DAYS....SIX DAYS....SIX DAYS....SIX DAYS....SIX DAYS....SIX DAYS....

1 comment:

  1. Hey Meg,

    Heather is here and says "Party on and have the time of your LIFE" as in Dirty Dancing!
    Don't put Baby in the corner!

    Lots of Love,

    Mom

    ReplyDelete